Motor Industry News
mycarcheck.com launches new service to curb complaints over second-hand cars.
In an attempt to reduce the number of complaints about second-hand cars, mycarcheck.com has launched a new service which offers hands-on-help, peace-of-mind and legal assistance for consumers.
According to the government advice service, Consumer Direct, second-hand car sales account for more complaints from customers than any other product. Last year the telephone and online consumer advice service, managed by the Office of Fair Trading, received 41,880 complaints about second-hand cars bought from independent traders - a rise of 18 per cent on the previous year.
"Used cars cause more problems for buyers than anything else, yet it is astonishing that thousands of people are willing to hand over their money without carrying out even the most basic of checks," said Roger Powell, General Manager of mycarcheck.com, the UK's fastest growing car data company. "It is estimated that one in three cars on UK roads have something to hide. Car crime is a multi-million pound business and covers everything from selling stolen vehicles, putting dangerous cars back on the road or turning back the mileage to add second-hand value."
A survey of more than 50,000 vehicles investigated by mycarcheck.com revealed that around 15 per cent of vehicles across the UK have been damaged beyond repair and classed as a 'total insurance loss' but still put back on the road.
Each year an estimated 25,000 dangerous cars are sold to unsuspecting motorists by organised gangs and confidence tricksters making an estimated £3bn a year from the illegal trade.
"People should be aware that a car may look alright but if it has been written-off or stolen, insurance companies may not pay out if it is ever involved in another claim. The onus is on the owner to check out a vehicle's history".
In association with Nationwide Autocentres and Thompsons Solicitors, mycarcheck.com has launched a new package for car buyers which guarantees peace of mind and free legal help if required. The new Platinum Service from mycarcheck.com covers:
- Finance Protection
- Stolen (Police and Insurers) Check
- mycarcheck's unique Stolen & Recovered Check
- Total Insurance Loss (Write-off) Category
- VIN (Chassis Number) Check
- 14 fields of vehicle information from the DVLA
- Mileage Check
- Printed certificate posted 1st Class
- Legal Expense Cover
- Cartrace, track down that owner who damaged your car
- VIP (Vehicle Information Pack) sent by Royal Mail to your home
- Car Valuation Search providing details of price you could expect to pay on a garage forecourt, private sale, trade in, at an auction or from new.
- A 15-point safety and anti-clone physical inspection to be carried out by Nationwide Auto Centres on any nominated car.
"We believe this is the most comprehensive vehicle inspection package available," said Mr Powell. "Every day our service helps prevent our customers from falling victim to car crime or losing their money on a dodgy motor."