Our website uses cookies and related technologies to operate, personalise and improve your experience. By closing this message or continuing to use this site you agree to their use. Read our Cookie Policy to learn more or to change your settings.


    Rules and Paperwork required for owning a car

    Owning and driving a car requires certain documentation and certification to ensure you stay on the correct side of the law. You need a vehicle registration certificate (known as a logbook or V5C), the car must have passed its MOT test each year to prove its road-worthiness (once it has reached three years old) and you must have paid the appropriate road fund (car tax). And any driver must also have the correct insurance for the particular type of vehicle use.

    Much is held on-line which makes these things easy to manage. Remember, this also makes it simple for the police to check if a vehicle is not taxed or insured, especially with fixed and mobile Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras.

    Expert articles on Rules & Paperwork