- Who We Are
- Returning Users
- How We Collect Your Personal Information
My Car Check (including mycarcheck.com, mycarcheck.net, trade.mycarcheck.com and the MyCarCheck apps), mytextcheck and CDLVIS.com are trading styles/domains owned and operated by CDL Vehicle Information Services Limited (referred to as CDL VIS throughout the rest of this document).
CDL VIS is committed to protecting your personal information. It's your information, it's personal, and we respect that. We also want to maintain the trust and confidence of every one of our customers, as well as each visitor who uses our website.
CDL VIS and our partners aim to constantly improve our services to make used car buying, owning and selling easier, safer and cheaper.
Our Privacy Statement gives you detailed information on when and why we collect your personal information, how we use it, how we keep it secure and who we share it with.
Aside from helping us deliver an excellent product, the information you share with us means you'll receive a more personalised and rewarding experience that is tailored to your needs.
Registering with us has many benefits, not least the opportunity to manage your personal information, receive information about our services and the opportunity to get involved in the MyCarCheck community. You can register with us at any time on our website or app.
CDL VIS is a limited company, incorporated in Scotland, whose registered office is 1 George Square, Castle Brae, Dunfermline, Fife, KY11 8QF and the registered data controller for My Car Check, mytextcheck and CDLVIS.com.
If you have any questions regarding your information or it's use, by any of these entities, please contact our Data Protection Officer:
Data Protection Officer
Kings Reach Road
As a returning user you will notice some changes to our website, the data we collect and the way in which we obtain your permission for marketing. You may also have received an email notifying you of the changes we are making.
While you are here please take a moment to update your details and your marketing preferences which you can do here.
If you do not update your details with us we will, after a short period of time, assume that you no longer wish to hear from us and we will delete your email address from our marketing data base. Of course, you can unsubscribe at any time by following this unsubscribe link.
Where you have previously purchased a service from us we will continue to hold your details to the extent that it is necessary for us to perform the contract.
Generally, we collect your information when you decide to interact with us. This could include visiting our websites, using our apps, registering an account with us, purchasing a service or it could be where you sign up to receive emails from us or enter a competition. We also look at how our website visitors and customers use our website so that we can offer the best possible experience whether you're purchasing a service or just trying to find out more information about us and our services.
We collect information in a number of ways which are listed below:
- When you create an account,
- When you use our apps on your devices,
- When you request either a free or paid service from us,
- When you register for our Guarantee,
We only collect the information that's necessary to carry out our business, to provide the particular service you've requested, to keep you informed of our services, or to keep you informed of related content and information that we think may be of interest to you.
There are occasions when you can choose not to give us certain information, but this, for example, may limit the level of personalisation we offer.
The type of information we collect depends on where and when it is gathered
When you create an account with us, register on our websites, use our apps, or purchase a service or product from us we need to collect information from you in order to provide the service you are requesting.
We may collect:
- Prefix and name
- Postal Address
- Country of Residence
- Email Address
- Date of Birth/Age
- Contact phone number(s)
- Payment card details. Please note, we will not store payment information or hold it for any longer than it takes to process your transaction, and will only retain the last 4 digits of your card number
- Delivery Address(es)
- Billing Address
We may ask you for more information for different services, including sales promotions, and competitions.
We may also ask some other, voluntary, questions during registration for certain services (for instance, details of vehicles, mileage, service history etc.) so we can gain a clearer understanding of who you are, which enables us to provide more personalised services to you.
We do not knowingly collect or store any personal information about children under the age of 16. It is a condition of using the service that you must be over 16 and by registering with us you confirm that you are over 16. We may ask you to provide your date of birth so that we can verify your age.
When you visit our websites or apps we may collect the following information:
- Automatically populated IP address: a public IP address is a unique number which allows a computer, group of computers or other internet connected devices to browse the internet. The log file records the time and date of your visit, the pages that were requested, the referring website (if provided) and your internet browser version. This information is collected to help diagnose and manage the websites, to audit the geographical make-up of users, and to establish how they have arrived at the websites.
- Facebook: If you login to our websites or apps using a Facebook log-in, you are granting permission to Facebook to share your user details with us. This will include your name, email address, date of birth and location which will then be used to form a MyCarCheck identity. Depending on your settings or the privacy policies for social media and messaging services like Facebook, Twitter, Google, you may give us permission to access information from those accounts or services.
Generally we will use your information to provide a service you have requested, to offer you a personalised experience, so we can understand our customers' needs better, to inform you of products, news, events or updates you've asked for to, contact you if we need to obtain further information from you to deliver the service requested or to provide additional information regarding our service.
Specifically, we use the information we collect from you in the following ways:
- To carry out our business and to provide a service, or carry out a contract with you:
- To fulfil purchase requests and provide services to you.
- Process payments. Your credit or debit card information is transferred to and processed by Cheshire Datasystems Limited ("CDL") (which is an associate company) using one of their secure payments systems: Braintree or WorldPay.
- If you pay using PayPal we do not receive your credit or debit card details, or your bank details, but we will receive your name and address, in addition to the details you have directly provided.
- If making a purchase in an App we will not receive your credit or debit card details, or your bank details.
- Provide the best possible customer services and to help us with our internal administration.
- Contact you with important information relating to your purchase, such as confirming your order.
- Where we have your consent:
- Send you updates about industry related news, offers, new products or services, surveys or other promotional material relating to car buying, owning and selling
- Share your details with our carefully selected partners. If you change your mind you will always be able to further opt out of their communications by contacting them directly.
- We will make sure it is clear when you can make these choices, for example, we have boxes you need to tick if you want to receive marketing.
- Where we have justifiable reason (including legal obligation and legitimate interest):
- Learn about your interests and preferences so that we can contact you with information that is relevant to you.
- Help us target our marketing communications and adverts so that they're more relevant to you.
- Use your pseudonymised details to show you advertising on such Social Media platforms as Facebook and Instagram or via other third party advertising that may appear on other websites you use. The information shared with these platforms is pseudonymised to protect your personal data.
- Measure and understand how our customers respond to a variety of marketing activity so we can ensure our activity is well targeted, relevant and effective.
- Use your IP address and location data to serve you with targeted advertising
- If you have subscribed to any of our services, we will use the information you provide to keep you updated on those services unless you have told us otherwise
- Undertake consumer research: we may contact you to ask you to participate in consumer research either via an online, or telephone survey. You are under no obligation to participate in research and, should you provide any further information, CDL VIS will inform you how any further information will be used.
- Analyse and continually improve the services we offer including, our website and other products.
- Your pseudonymised data may be used to help us run the test version of our website that we use internally to pilot new features and ensure the smooth running of our web services.
- The information we collect may be disclosed when legally required to do so, at the request of governmental authorities conducting an investigation, to verify or enforce compliance with the policies governing our website and applicable laws or to protect against misuse or unauthorised use of our website.
- The information you provide may be shared with third-party suppliers such as contractors, agents and professional advisors to assist us in the use of the data for the purposes described in this policy.
- We obtain and retain vehicle and associated data from many sources, including finance companies, insurers, and the police. This data is used to protect both those making searches and/or the owners of vehicles and/or those with an interest in the vehicle.
If this information is not provided we will be unable to deliver the service you are requesting
We will never share, sell, rent or trade your personal information to any third parties for marketing purposes without your prior consent. We will always ask for your consent to share personal information with any of our carefully selected partners.
Some of our service providers may have access to your data in order to perform services on our behalf – payment processing is a good example of this. We make sure anyone who provides a service to us enters into an agreement with us and meets our standards for data security. CDL VIS retains responsibility for your data and it will not be used for anything other than the clearly defined purpose relating to the service that they are providing.
CDL VIS is not responsible for the privacy notices and practices of other websites, even if accessed using links from our websites or apps, and recommends that you check the policy of each website you visit and contact its owner or Data Protection Manager if you have any concerns or questions.
We use Google Analytics on our websites for anonymous reporting of site usage and for advertising on the websites. If you would like to opt out of Google Analytics monitoring your behaviour on our sites please use this link (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/).
Despite all our precautions, no data transmission over the internet is 100% secure. So, whilst we ensure that we have in place all appropriate security measures to protect your data we cannot guarantee the security of any information which you disclose to us and so wish to draw your attention to the fact that you do so at your own risk.
We'll keep your personal information for as long as we need it to provide the products and services you've signed up to. We may also keep it to comply with our legal obligations, and resolve any disputes.
In all cases, our need to use your personal information will be reassessed on a regular basis, and information which is no longer required for any purposes will be disposed of.
We reserve the right to provide information to law enforcement agencies or assist where it is necessary for the prevention & detection of crime,
We offer facilities where you can update your personal information at any time, and change your marketing preferences by simply logging in to your account on our websites.
If you do not want to receive emails from us in the future, you can update your preferences by logging into your account on our websites or you can unsubscribe at any time by following this unsubscribe link.
Alternatively, if you have received a previous email newsletter from us, you will find a personalised unsubscribe link in the footer of the email, where you can remove yourself from our list.
You have the right to:
- access the personal information held about you
- request that inaccurate personal data is corrected
- request the deletion of your personal data
- request the restriction of the processing of your personal data or to object to the processing of your personal data
- request a copy of your data in a portable format
To exercise any of these please send an email to DataProtection@cdl.co.uk. You will need to provide proof of identification.
Any complaints regarding the manner in which CDL VIS has processed your personal data should be directed to the Data Protection Officer.
You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner regarding the processing of your personal data. https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public
Online behavioural advertising (OBA) allows us to deliver targeted advertising to people who visit our website. It works by showing you adverts that are based on your browsing patterns and the way you have interacted with our site. It then shows you adverts which we believe may interest you.
As you browse our sites, some of the cookies we place on your computer will be advertising cookies, so we can understand what sort of pages you are interested in we can then display advertising on your browser that is based on these perceived interests.
It is important to remember that none of the OBA techniques we use will collect information such as your name, email address, postal address or phone number.
We may also share anonymised behavioural data with advertising partners, including commercial organisations that fund content labelled ‘Supported by', ‘Paid content/Paid for by' or ‘Advertiser content/from our advertisers'. This may mean that when you are on other websites, you will be shown advertising based on your behaviour on our websites. We may also show you advertising on our site based on your behaviour on other sites.
Behavioural retargeting is another form of OBA that allows us and some of our advertising partners to show you adverts based on your browsing patterns and interactions with a site away from our sites. For example, if you have visited the website of an online clothes shop, you may start seeing ads from that same shopping site displaying special offers or showing you the products that you were browsing. This allows companies to advertise to you if you leave their website without making a purchase.
If you want to opt out of receiving online behavioural advertising, this does not mean that you will no longer receive advertising when you are using our sites. It just means that the advertising you see will not be customised for you.
If you would like more information about OBA and how to opt out of it, please visit www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/
Updates to this policy will be posted on this page – please check back from time to time. Where the changes are significant, we may also choose to email all our registered users with the new details.
This policy was updated on the 09 May 2018.
In the event that the ownership of CDL Vehicle Information Services Limited or the ownership or operation of this website is transferred to another party, the ownership and access to any data collected, processed or stored will transfer to the new owner.